I know this feeling. But I know the meaning of a budget as well. It means you don't drop by Publix every afternoon, picking up new ingredients for a different masterpiece every night just to keep your taste buds on their toes.
So why not create masterpieces out of the food already in your own home?
Check out the TWO ways I had my chicken fajita leftovers:
| Chicken tacos with cabbage (for crunch!), red onions, cilantro and mexi cheese! |
| Chicken fajita panini |
Okay, now I have a new question for you. Ever bought cabbage when you meant to buy lettuce?
Guilty.
But I hope you didn't let it ruin your planned menu! Cabbage is a wonderful ingredient that can be cooked with many different flavors to make it a part of many different cuisines. I knew I was having a Mexican-themed dinner, so a simple google-search for Mexican cabbage got the wheels turning in my head. I mostly made my own recipe, and thankfully it turned out... DELICIOUS!
Recipe: Red onions sauteed in some olive oil with some chopped garlic. Throw in some cumin, salt and pepper. Put my chopped cabbage in the pan with some water and added a heaping 1/2 cup of homemade salsa. Let it simmer for a good 10 minutes. Towards the end, some was sticking to the bottom of the pan, but nothing a little water in a hot pot couldn't release. The cabbage was just soft enough, spicy and flavorful. Paired with some ground turkey and rice and beans, it perfectly completed my dinner plate!
And on to tonight.
I recently stumbled across a website for winter recipes (featuring vegetables in season during winter) and this lentil stew recipe caught my eye. Here is the link to a stew that was a definite WINNER (also got the vote of approval from my friend/taste tester/dinner buddy). The only substitutions I made were turkey bacon for pancetta (should have used pancetta or regular bacon) and scallions instead of shallots. I also (semi) homemade my chicken broth. I had never cooked with swiss chard, and my friend commented that it added a nice "Christmas" touch to the colors of the dish. If only it were still Christmas season!!
| Lentil Soup with Balsamic-Roasted Winter Vegetables |
I also made some gluten free (and healthy!) Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Muffin Tops that we enjoyed for dessert. Photos and recipe link to come!
No comments:
Post a Comment