I'm a sucker for anything pumpkin, especially pumpkin bread. However, I cringe at the thought of eating two slices of not-really-bread-but-more-like-cake for breakfast. Too much sugar, and not enough hearty-keep-you-full-for-a-while-goodness.
I was excited to try this bread recipe: it's half whole grain and packed with fruit and nuts. Still got some sugar, but I used all the brown sugar it called for and then a splenda mix instead of the granulated sugar. Check out this Pumpkin, Apple, Date and
As you might have guessed, I substituted almonds for walnuts. I think, other than the sugar I mentioned above, was my only change. Oh, and I didn't have canola oil, so vegetable oil sufficed.
I made two small loaves with this recipe. I used a recipe nutritional calculator, found here, and came up with about 150 cal per slice (based on 10 slices per loaf.)
Protein content is still pretty low... thinking for my next bread I might try one that uses greek yogurt, like this one I clipped a while back and have been meaning to make: Greek Yogurt Blueberry Banana Bread. Also have been wanting to try my hand at scones. Have to channel my inner Ina Garten for this culinary feat.
For another wholesome treat, I popped some granola in the oven a few minutes ago. I used this recipe (halved it) and subbed cranberries for raisins.
Doesn't that just look DIVINE?
No comments:
Post a Comment