Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The Week's Over Halfway Gone

Today at 11:55 we made the decision to go out for out lunch break which started at 12. At 12:03 we were out the door and on our way to our favorite bakery/cafe where I ordered this beauty:
Ensalada caribeña  
This salad had lettuce, spinach, chicken, carrots, avocado, raisins, nuts, and one other vegetable whose identity was unknown. We were having a late lunch going away party at the office so I had full intentions of eating half and saving the rest for dinner... and then we got home and I consumed the rest within the first 15 minutes of being back to work. oops?

It wasn't too long before everyone got started preparing their dishes for our party. Noemie (a new intern who arrived last week) had to leave early so we snapped some pictures for the last time everyone is together!


Interns and our bosses
For our party, I made Spring Herb Quinoa Patties, recipe found here. They turned out great! Even Eddie, who normally despises anything that has touched a vegetable or isn't doused in a tablespoon of mayonaisse, said he liked them and at his whole patty! Success, I think!

The only modification I made to the linked recipe was using thyme and oregano instead of mint. Plus, just to not, I used goat cheese as my cheese!

Spring Herb Quinoa Patties
 Joe made his now famous "Chicken-less Curry" which due to his week-long venture of vegetarianism was meatless, but nice and spicy and full of great flavors and vegetables!
Chicken-less Curry

Carolyn, Momo and I on the porch
Laurita was super sweet and wrote us notes and painted us each a picture of something that had to do with us. I got a mailbox full of letters due to being one of the only people who got mail this summer...and getting at least a letter a week at that! Felt so good to be loved!


But back to the meal... 

here's my plate. 
Other dishes included tequeños with guacamole, a meat and cheese platter, pita bread, rice, sweet potato chunks with cinnamon sugar by Carolyn and a savory bread pudding/quiche by Laura.


 And who can ever forget dessert? Dr. Jose generously bought us this cheesecake de sauco. I liked it because it was light and I didn't feel weighted down after I ate it (ahem, desserts from yesterday).
Cheesecake de sauco

After all the festivities died down, Momo got down to business finishing her packing and doing some last minute errands. I helped her zip up her suitcase, hugged her goodbye and headed off for another nightly adventure. I just didn't want to spend the evening the office/apartment when it's one of my last in Lima!

I went to Miraflores and visited some more craft markets, walked around and enjoyed the cool breeze that comes from being near the coast. I walked down to Larco Mar, the mall built into the coast and checked out some of the nice shops there. They also had a miniature food festival/display so I tried some pretty interesting items and then started my walk back towards the bus stop. I ended up making a stop on the way for a jugo at a cafe where I had a chance to rest my feet and read my book. 

Strawberry, banana and melon
Here's to trying to live up these last few days and never waste a moment of this precious gift of live we've been given!







No comments:

Post a Comment