Friday, June 29, 2012

CENTRO!

Today began with a 7AM wake up (specifically earlier than necessary) so that I gave myself plenty of time to construct this beauty:
So picture all that with another piece of bread on top (fresh baked bread from the local bakery I may add) and pressed like a panini. MMMM. 

Thursday afternoon we spontaneously decided we wanted to take a weekend trip (Friday was a Peruvian National Holiday) and so this morning we headed to the bus station at 8:30AM to buy tickets to Ica. 

Well darn if there weren't any tickets remaining for the 10AM to Ica. Debating our options, and to make this long story short, we booked tickets for tomorrow, headed back to the office and adjusted the game plan for the day. 

No matter what I did today I definitely wanted to mark something off the Bucket List we have created for the remainder of our time. Due to various other circumstances, noone else was free/wanted to go on a meaner around Centro so I headed off sola. I already knew of a bus I could take to get me close, and armed with Carolyn's very handy Lima tour book I walked the rest of the way. On my walk, I picked up this piece of deliciousness:

Choclo con queso y salsa
I dumped all that sauce and salsa on top and it was very flavorful...and VERY spicy. Let's just say my lips were stinging a little A LOT for 10 minutes or so. 
Here's a picture of the Plaza de Armas. It is the heart of the area where Francisco Pizzaro first settled in the 16th century!
The experience of being in Centro is unlike any other place in Lima. So much history! AND the food at restaurants, cafes and especially notable in my memory, heladerias, was much cheaper than in our home district. Here, it might cost you between 3 and 7 soles for a scoop of ice cream on a cone. In Centro? 
I saw it for 2 soles for TWO SCOOPS ON A CONE.

At that moment, I decided I would be visiting Centro again before I left.
Probably multiple times. It's my civic duty as a thrifter to take advantages of such low ice cream prices. 

Plaza de Armas
Then I headed to La Casa de Gastronomia where I learned about the history of the Peruvian food culture! One of my favorite museums I've done here, by far! 

A raspadillas (snow cone) machine
The museum outlined all the different regions of Peru and what each is famous for. I've got to make sure I have tried all the one's Lima is known for before I leave!

After the food museum (where I had a good 20 minute casual conversation with a local, thank you very much) I happened upon a food festival (small version of Taste of Marietta) and bought this dessert taster:

It had 5 different types of Arroz con leche and accompanying substances sauces.
My favorite was definitely the plain arrox con leche. ¡Qué rico!



Then I walked towards what I thought was a river. Turns out it's been dained/dammed up and is going to be made into...a highway or public transit route I'm guessing? But look what kind of equipment these fine people to chose to use... Caterpillar representing in PERU! Go CAT!

Caterpillar, baby!
I walked past the huge governmental building (Palacio de Gobierno) and snapped some pictures of one of the guards. I missed the changing of the guards ceremony, but it was still cool to see the guards in full uniform!


And because I had seen a mannequin set-up of this exact scene in the Food museum, I snapped a picture of this sidewalk view I had into this restaurant where they were cooking pollo a la leña


Cute cafe
Walked into a popular department store here, perused my way through three stories worth of clothes and electronics and home goods, and whattya know- despite the severe difficulties every Peruvian has in understanding my name when I introduce myself, they do in fact sell my brand of clothes!!

I walked into a church that allowed pictures and snapped a few, trying to capture the grandeur of their houses of worship here!



Below is a quick pic I snapped passing through Plaza San Martín.

Statue of José de San Martín

The food court at a huge indoor/outdoor mall I walked through,
And finally after a day of venturing out independently and speaking only Spanish for the whole day, I returned to the apartment for a yummy bowl of revamped leftovers and some left-over dinner party wine.  

Tomorrow we head to Ica fo' sho'

PS-Ica is known for its wine and pisco production, so we plan to do some tastings! And the area we're spending the night (Huacachina) is in the desert region and is considered an oasis! We're hoping to do some sand boarding before heading back Sunday night!

Happy Weekend to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment