Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Double Trouble

Clinic week is back- and with it, the occasional 12-14 hour work days. Hence the absentee Monday Post. Lo siento.

I have some precious moments captured in photos from the past few days, so I hope you enjoy!
The bonds of sisterhood!
These photos were from Monday's clinic. It was the first day of clinic for the students (which can always be a little rough ) but they were so helpful, more than capable, and fell into work like they'd been doing this for weeks! 

Some kids on their way back to school from getting their teeth-ies brushed!
 The day was a little overcast and drizzly, and following a beautiful, warm Sunday, I think some of the kids were a little underdressed for the temperature, but nevertheless didn't complain! 
A short-term MEDLIFE volunteer, Kate, asking some questions to OBGYN patients.
 Kate and her husband are here in Lima for over a month! They are working on standardizing our breast examination program. It was nice having some fresh faces around, especially when they are so kind-hearted, friendly, and eager to get to work!
Whatchu lookin' at?
 This picture made me laugh when I found it on my camera. Those are some serious looks the camera is getting. Don't want to mess with those two!
Dentist Cathy and some student assistants!

I can do a handstand- watch!

Education tent in action!

After reviewing this picture, Beto the photography master declared Carolyn needed to lift up her cap.
So... take 2:

Voila!
Mucho mejor!
 Monday night we headed out for karaoke. Sofia (who we've been missing very much lately!) joined us and she, Eddie and Momo put on some great performances of their favorite spanish songs. 
I understood un pocito of los canciones but these three performers were so much fun to watch. 

The girls! ... +1
And don't worry. You Carolyn and I (the southern gals) put on a rousing performance of Sweet Home Alabama (I made sure to throw in the "Go Dawgs, Go" in between the lines of the chorus).

Later, we took on "I Want You Back" by Jackson 5. Classic. 

Now the following pictures are from Tuesday. I have none from clinic, but I'll give you the brief run-down. We had a slightly disastrous morning, but as always, we figured it out and had a successful clinic running in no-time! 

We were actually in a community specifically for disable people, so there were lots of people in wheelchairs, with crutches, mental handicaps and other disabilities. Even their community leader, el dirigente was blind! But do you know what? These people had a lot of joy in their life- a lot! It was a wonderful experience to work there and I'm so grateful we had that opportunity. 

Later, I set out to a nearby district called Barranco to pick up the International Student Identification Cards that we bought to get discounts on lots of tickets and entrance fees for our trip to Cusco. 

Step 1: Take a bus I've never taken.
Step 2: Get off at a stop I've never been to.
Step 3: Find an office I've never seen. 
Step 4: Talk to some only Spanish-speaking employees to try and figure out where I needed to go to get my card.
Step 5: Try and communicate my question of "Does it matter that Huffstutler is not actually part of my name on my passport or ID card or anywhere... "

-Here, people have like 17 names (okay, normally 4), so filling out the online information it asked for Nombres (plural) and apellido de madre y apellido de padre. So I put my first and middle names then the maiden name from my mom and the last name from my dad. I would have left the mom one blank since Huffstutler is not in my legal name, but it had an asterisk next to this box and I had to put something there!-

Step 6: Get back on the same bus (but at a different stop, on a different street, because I needed to go the opposite direction). 

And I won't put this as a step because it wasn't exactly on the to-do list, but you might get a laugh out of it so I'll fill you all in.

First when I was trying to get on the bus I conveniently located myself at a non-bus stop area. 
Then I saw the bus I needed and waved desperately to flag him down as he flew right by.

I walked up a-ways and found the actual bus stop. 

Impatiently awaiting the next bus, I got on a different bus that I thought would take me by the same place. 

Wrong.

But luckily I figured out it was taking me somewhere I was familiar with and could easily take another bus home. 

Phew. I made it. 

But first I walked down to the coast and had a breathtaking view, bought myself an ice cream and got to see a beautiful German Shepherd!  Here are some pics. 

A cool, old wooden staircase at the business I went to




Peruvian Pride! 
They wear and fly their flag everywhere. Makes me want to wear the USA flag more often back home. I love America- I should show it! 

Family Picnic


The only thing that made this view better.

Beauty!
Reminded me of sweet Sable.  
Just out for a walk. Livin' the life!

No comments:

Post a Comment