Sunday, May 27, 2012

Here Comes the Sun

THE SUN CAME OUT TODAY.
Thank you Jesus, it was such a sweet Sunday gift!

This picture didn't really quite capture all the warmth the sun brought today, but it was coming through the clouds in a very beautiful way and hitting the top of the church so I tried to snap a photo.
Today we took the third week of students on their first Sat of tourism, where they basically have about 4 hours of free time to hang out in Parque Kennedy. I wanted to go for a run during that time, and on Sundays in Miraflores something really awesome happens. 
A major road called Av Arequipa is blocked off all morning until 1PM in the afternoon, to be used by bikers, roller blade-rs, runners, anybody! It's a huge road and was filled with people all morning long. Here's a zoomed out pic of just a section of the street. 

But since the street opens back up at 1 and I was only a little ways into my run...

Look what else is so awesome about this street. This huge, two lane (bikers and walk/runners) sidewalk in the median of the road. I ran on this after the road opened back up and it was so great! So many exercisers still out- families out for a stroll, lots of bikers and even more people on skates. So cool.


And for a little glimpse of my night last night:
(confession- this picture was actually from a night of salsa dancing two weeks ago, but the guy dancing with me, Ricardo, was out with us last night too and we got dance again, so I think this is pretty representative of the evening). There were two live salsa bands that played back to back and we enjoyed probably close to 4 hours of dancing. Phew. I may be a little sore (shhh).

We went out as a going away party for Amara (a UGA grad, fellow MEDLIFer) who came for a MEDLIFE year internship and loved it so much she decided to stay in Lima working with a different nonprofit! Now, she's headed to the states to soak up the summer sun for a few weeks. We'll miss her here for sure!


No comments:

Post a Comment