Thursday, May 10, 2012

We've Arrived!

Hola!

For those of you who don't know, yesterday I came to Lima, Peru to work with MEDLIFE for 10 weeks as one of their summer interns. Their mission is Medicine, Education and Community Development for Low Income Families Everywhere. Check out their website at medlifeweb.org

I'll get to help with the mobile clinics, work with the doctors on patient follow-up, work with the administrative side, working with the university chapters, etc. Going to be a summer of adventure, for sure!

We left the states around 1730 yesterday and arrived in Peru around 2300 (their time). I thought there was no time change (we are in the same time zone) but they don't practice daylight savings time here so they are an hour behind the states.

A MEDLIFE staffer named Amporo met us at the airport and then we waited for a bit for one of the other interns, Maureen, to come in. She was flying from Toronto. She grew up in Lima, though, and is fluent in Espanol! I am really looking forward to getting to know her.

Carolyn and I had two of the three seats in the middle row on the 767 to ourselves, so we got to spread out, and the flight was great! I perused the sky mall magazine ...Father's Day AND my dad's birthday are coming up, after all! (Just kidding, Daddy. I bet I can find some great Andean artifacts that you might like, similar to the Native American genre you love so much!)

Today, we have the day to ourselves to get acquainted and figure out our situation, get some food, etc.

I am going to be sleeping in a four person room (two sets of bunk beds) but the apartment is pretty large with the office and kitchen upstairs and the bedrooms downstairs.

I'll try to post as often as possible, with pictures whenever I can!

Love to you all
Savannah

No comments:

Post a Comment